16-18 Financial Support

There is a range of financial support available to assist students aged 16-18 years on the 31st August 2019 to meet the costs of coming to college, such as bursaries.

Bursary Fund

Students studying on full and part-time courses that lead to a government funded qualification may be eligible for an award from the Bursary Fund towards the cost of travel, accommodation, meals, personal protective clothing/equipment.

Bursary Funds are limited, so we advise students to apply early, applications open in the Spring term.

The residential fund is primarily available for those students staying on site, but in some circumstances, we may assist with off-site accommodation.

Students who are:

  • In care
  • A care leaver
  • Receiving Income Support or Universal Credit in place of Income Support in your own name
  • Receiving Employment Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments in your own name

You will be able to apply at any time to an unlimited fund which is guaranteed government funding.


Free Meals

You may be entitled to free meals whilst at college if you or your parents receive any of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income-related Employment Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The guarantee element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit) and have an annual gross income of no more the £16,190, as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs
  • Working Tax Credit run-on paid 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working tax Credit
  • Universal Credit

If you have applied for a bursary we will automatically assess you for Free Meals. Alternatively, if you wish, you can just apply for free meals. 

Care to Learn for students aged under 20 years

Young parents studying at the college may be entitled to funding towards childcare. The childcare provider must be Ofsted registered.

Find out more about Care to Learn

Non-government support for Students on Land-based courses

Other organisations kindly provide funding for students on Agricultural/Land-based courses.

Their application criteria differ to government funded bursaries. You can apply direct to these funds or we may suggest you apply to them, contact the bursary team for further details.