This course is designed to provide you with a wide range of specialist technical practical skills and detailed knowledge and understanding, focussing on a broad basis of skills that employers value, whilst studying in greater depth the areas that will enable you to seek specialised and more demanding job roles.
- Qualification: Level 3 - Extended Diploma in Horticulture
- Course Code: E13301
- Start Date: 02/09/2019
- Duration: 2 years full-time (3-4 days per week).
- Campus: Easton
- Entry requirements: ** 4 GCSEs at grade 9-4/A-C including English, maths and science. Alternatively a Level 2 Diploma at Merit/Distinction including GCSE English and maths at 9-4 / A-C.
This qualification gives you the opportunity to learn about and build on the essentials of working in horticulture such as safe working, using equipment and machinery, plant identification, maintaining turf, plant health, pests and diseases and pruning and maintaining trees and shrubs. You will also learn about plant and soil science and business skills. You will specialise in professional horticulture, and will also learn about estate maintenance, garden design and the construction of landscape features.
- Principles of Plant and Soil Science
- Business Management
- Plant Knowledge
- Turf Production/Management
- Landscape Construction
- Applied Plant and Soil Science
- Decorative Horticulture
- Heritage Gardening
- Individual Projects
The potential is vast and if youre ambitious, there is real scope to progress in this industry.
The course will prepare you for varied roles and positions within different horticultural industries, including: amenity and production horticulture, landscape design and construction, grounds and turf maintenance or managing public and private gardens. Or, you may wish to move into self- employment; or an Advanced Apprenticeship, which allows you to combine work with further training. Or, you can use this qualification to progress into Higher Education. You could go on to study subjects such as:
- Foundation degree in Landscape and Amenity Management at Easton & Otley College
- FdSc Horticulture
- BSc (Hons) Horticulture
- FdSc Sports Turf
- BSc (Hons) Sports Turf Science & Management