This programme is an excellent way to gain experience in all aspects of the horticultural industry through developing practical hands on skills including plan identification, maintenance and uses, plant production, turf care, landscaping and planting.
- Qualification: Intermediate Apprenticeship in Horticulture
- Course Code: O4001 or E4001
- Start Date: 10/05/2019
- Duration: The framework is expected to take 20 months
- Campus: Easton, Otley
- Entry requirements: Entry onto the apprenticeship is subject to a thorough initial assessment to clarify course suitability. You will be required to come into an interview and assessment day. Entry onto the apprenticeship is subject to 4 GCSE’s including Maths & English A-E/9-2. Entrants must have the ability to achieve Level 2 Functional Skills in English and Mathematics and be able to manage the requirements of a Level 3 vocational qualification. Apprentices need to be employed for minimum of 30 hours a week in the industry with a contract of employment
It is suitable for those seeking or employed in their first role within the industry.
The apprenticeship framework is made up of different nationally recognised qualifications. Including:
- Level 2 Diploma in Work Based Horticulture
- Level 1 Functional Skills in English and Math’s
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
Depending on the apprenticeship job role within the industry there are different pathways available. Including:
- Production Horticulture
- Green Keeper/Grounds Person
- Parks Countryside & Green Spaces
- Establishing plants and seeds in soil
- Preparing ground for seeding and planting
- Plant terminology and identification
- Maintain the health of sport turf
- Leveling and preparing sites for landscaping
- Identify and monitor pest and diseases
- Use and maintain pedestrian controlled powered equipment
All assessment and training is undertaken in the workplace. This is achieved by a variety of techniques tailored to meet a student's learning style. An E-Portfolio will be provided to set, track and support.
Apprentices successfully completing the Intermediate Apprenticeship have opportunities to progress within the industry by continuing onto the Advanced Apprenticeship in Horticulture or other Further Education courses.