This qualification aims to provide a good level of practical skills that will support a student seeking a career in the animal care industry.
- Qualification: Level 3 - Diploma in Practical Animal Management
- Course Code: E13570 / O13570
- Start Date: 02/09/2019
- Duration: 1 year (3-4 days per week)
- Campus: Easton, Otley
- Entry requirements: ** Students wishing to undertake this course require 4 GCSEs at Grade 9-4 or A-C or a Level 2 qualification with the minimum of Pass profile, plus English and maths at Grade 4/C.
It provides basic knowledge and understanding of a range of species and it develops a students working practices in relation to safety and the workplace.
- Implement, monitor and evaluate plans for the health and welfare of animals
- Promote, monitor and maintain health, safety and security in the workplace
- Plan the handling and restraint of animals
- Plan, supervise and control the movement of animals
- Plan the accommodation of animals
- Monitor and evaluate the accommodation of animals
- Plan diets and feeding regimes for animals
- Monitor and evaluate the feeding of animals
- Plus a range of optional units
This is a one year academic programme, starting in September. Attendance to all aspects of the study programme is required, typically 3-4 days per week on campus and a fifth day in work placement. Students must also complete 150 hours of work experience alongside attendance at college to achieve this qualification. Typical placements may include kennels, catteries, pet shops, farms, farm parks, zoos, animal sanctuaries, animal rescue centres and veterinary practices.
To achieve the Level 3 Diploma in Animal Care (Zoos/Wildlife Establishments) students will be assessed using a range of practical demonstrations and written assignments which will be used to compile a portfolio of evidence.