The Level 3 Advanced Technical Extended Diploma in Animal Management is a full-time nationally recognised vocational course that is equivalent to 3 A Levels.
- Qualification: Level 3 - Advanced Technical Extended Diploma in Animal Management
- Course Code: E13321 / O13321
- Start Date: 07/09/2020
- Duration: 2 years (3-4 days per week)
- Campus: Easton, Otley
- Entry requirements: This course is suited to students who hold four GCSEs at Grades 9-4 / A-C, including Maths, English and Science; or hold a Level 2 Diploma in Animal Care at Merit Level, plus Functional Skills at Level 2. Other Level 2 qualifications are accepted and must be at merit profile plus Science and Maths GCSE at Grades 9-4 / A-C.
The course is suited to you if you are seeking managerial/supervisory employment in the animal care industry or to progress into Higher Education. The course offers you the opportunity to work with a range of animals including dogs, rodents, reptiles and farm livestock. You must complete 300 hours work experience in the animal care industry alongside your attendance at college to achieve the full qualification. Typical placements may include kennels, catteries, pet shops, farms, farm parks, zoos, animal sanctuaries, animal rescue centres and veterinary practices. The course offers a blend of theory, task-based learning, tutorials and practical workshops at college combined with field visits and work experience in the animal care industry.
- Principles of Health and Safety, Undertake and Review Work Related Experience in the Land-based Industries, Animal Health and Husbandry, Animal Feeding and Nutrition, Animal Behaviour and Communication, Biological Systems of Animals, Animal Welfare and Breeding, Business Management in the Land-based Sector, Undertake a Specialist Project in the Land-based Sector.
Students may select options in year 2 depending on availability and campus:
- Animal Breeding & Genetics, Exotics Management, Principles of Animal Nursing, Business Management, Fundamentals of Science, Principles of Chemistry for Biological & Medical Science, Biochemistry & Microbiology, Investigative Project, Retail Merchandising, Practice of Wildlife Population Surveys, Ecology & Conservation, Estate Skills, Wildlife Management & Rehabilitation, Zoological Animal Health & Husbandry, Aquatics Management, Kennel & Cattery Management, Pet Shop Management, Dog Grooming, Animal Collections, Farm Livestock Husbandry
You can progress onto the BSc (Hons) Zoology, FdSc Animal Science & Welfare or FdSc Wildlife Management & Conservation or alternative courses in Higher Education.
Alternatively, you may seek employment in the animal management industry.