This technical qualification has been designed by employers to deliver the most up-to-date and relevant technical skills, which combine both theory and practical aspects.
- Qualification: Level 2 - Technical Certificate in Animal Care
- Course Code: E10190 / O10190
- Start Date: 07/09/2020
- Duration: 1 year (3 days a week)
- Campus: Easton, Otley
- Entry requirements: You will need to have achieved four GCSES at grade 3 (D) including English and science if you wish to undertake this programme of study.
- Animal health and welfare
- Animal feeding and accommodation
- Animal behaviour and handling
- Work experience in an animal care related business
You will also study additional optional topics, including:
- Animal nursing
- Animal biology
- Caring for exotics
- Caring for zoo animals
To achieve this Level 2, you will be required to complete a synoptic assignment, externally marked exam on the mandatory units, biological systems exam, plus assignments for the optional units.
As part of your Study Programme you must also complete 150 hours of work experience alongside attendance at college to achieve this qualification. Typical placements may include kennels, catteries, pet shops, farms, farm parks, zoos, animal sanctuaries, animal rescue centres and veterinary practices.
Upon successful completion at Merit, you could progress to Level 3 Advanced Technical Diploma in Animal Management or at Pass to Level 3 Diploma in Animal Care (Zoos/Wildlife).
The Level 2 Technical Certificate in Animal Care may also lead to the following employment opportunities:
- Animal/dog groomer
- Pet shop assistant/retail assistant
- Animal care assistant
- Kennel and cattery worker
- Animal boarding assistant