This qualification aims to provide a good level of practical skills that will support you seeking a career in the animal care industry.
- Qualification: Level 2 - Certificate in Practical Animal Care
- Course Code: E13560 / O13560
- Start Date: 07/09/2020
- Duration: 1 year (3-4 days per week)
- Campus: Easton, Otley
- Entry requirements: Students wishing to undertake this course require 4 GCSE's Grade 3-1 (D - G) or a Level 1 qualification normally Merit profile plus Functional skills English and maths at E3. Students will undertake a Level 1 qualification in English and Mathematics to support progression.
It provides basic knowledge and understanding of a range of species and it develops your working practices in relation to safety and the workplace. To achieve the Level 2 Certificate in Practical Animal Care Skills you will be assessed using a range of practical demonstrations and written assignments which will be used to compile a portfolio of evidence.
- How to promote and maintain the health and well-being of animals.
- Moving animals between locations
- Prepare and groom animals
- Train animals through basic training programmes
- Provide opportunities to exercise animals
Students must also complete 150 hours of work experience alongside attendance at college to achieve this qualification. Typical placements may include kennels, catteries, pet shops, farms, farm parks, zoos, animal sanctuaries, animal rescue centres and veterinary practices.