New for 2018 - FdSc Health, Fitness, Strength & Conditioning | Foundation Degree Science
- Qualification: Foundation Degree Science
- Start Date: September 2018
- Duration: 2 Years Full Time or 4 Years Part Time
- Cost: £ 7,500 per year (full-time)
- Campus: Easton
The area of health and fitness for preventing and managing chronic diseases is expanding and is an area of employment with increasing opportunities. The course has a focus on health and fitness promotion in community through lifestyle and behavioural changes whilst incorporating traditional training with modern strength and conditioning methods often reserved for sporting athletes. This distinguishes it from more traditional sport science courses which focus only on sport performance.
The course has excellent links with numerous fitness centres, sports clubs, governing bodies and organisations in the region to enable students to obtain the necessary experience they require to increase employability. There are opportunities to apply for internships and additional qualifications.
Teaching methods include practical work, group activities, lectures, workshops, problem solving activities, tutorials, e-learning seminars plus external visits and guest speakers. Students will demonstrate their knowledge, skills and abilities through a range of assessment methods that will enhance their learning experience and develop valuable employability skills. Assessment methods may include laboratory reports; essays, practical observation, reflective journals, literature reviews, case studies, presentations, debates, written examinations, project work and peer review.
Programme Content: (indicative programme)
- HE Academic Skills
- Work Place Dynamics
- Anatomy & Kinesiology
- Health and Fitness
- Strength and Conditioning Methods One
- Health Promotion, Lifestyle & Behaviour Change
- Work Based Research Project
- Sport and Exercise Physiology
- Activity, Health, and Disease across the Lifespan
- Strength and Conditioning Methods Two
- Nutrition for Health and Fitness
- Exercise Interventions for Specific Populations (20)
- 64 UCAS credits
- GCSEs in Maths, English and Science at grade C or above is desirable
- Mature students and students already employed will need a range of qualifications including or equivalent to A-Levels or Access Course
- Prior work and learning experiences will be taken into account, accredited and considered at interview stage
Students with English as a foreign language: Applications from students from all backgrounds are welcome. We require evidence of proficiency in English (including writing, listening, speaking and reading).
Our recognised English Language qualifications include:
- IELTS: 6 overall (minimum of 5.5 in any component)
- Please click here to see our full list
Upon successful completion of this Foundation Degree students may be offered the opportunity to top-up to a full Honours Degree in Health, Fitness, Strength & Conditioning at Easton Campus (having achieved 240 HE credits including 120 at Level 5 in a sport related subject and a successful interview) or at another institution.
Alternatively, students will be well equipped with industry skills to meet needs of employers. The course will prepare students to enter a wide array of health and fitness opportunities including activity leaders, fitness instructors, personal trainers and strength & conditioning coaches.
To improve employability prospects, students enrolling in 2018 will have the opportunity to apply for a training bursary to put towards funding additional industry relevant qualifications. Students are able to apply for a maximum of £250 in year 1 and £500 in year 2.
- Tennis Centre: permanent building housing 4 indoor courts
- Tennis Dome with 4 indoor courts
- 4 external courts with European Red Clay surface
- Sports Laboratory
- Sports Hall
- Fitness Suite
- Strength & Conditioning Performance Area
- Football and rugby grass pitches
- Floodlit 3-G (all weather) pitch
- External all-weather playing surface - multi-sports
Apply Now Unsure? Return to Subject Listings