FdSc Sports Coaching Science | Foundation Degree Science
- Qualification: Foundation Degree Science
- Course Code: C600
- Start Date: September 2019
- Duration: 2 Years Full Time or 4 Years Part Time
- Cost: £ 7,500 per year (full-time)
- Campus: Easton
This programme is available as 2 years full-time or 4 years part-time. With a strong focus on what's needed in the workplace, this Foundation degree helps you understand how the performance coaching and sports development industry fit together with employers, service providers and stakeholders. Core work-based learning modules complement sports science, coaching and development modules. In some instances you may be able to achieve an additional industry related qualification. If you are keen to develop athletes from participation to podium then this course is for you.
Teaching methods include practical work, group activities, lectures, workshops, problem solving activities, tutorials, e-learning seminars plus external visits and guest speakers.
Students will demonstrate their knowledge, skills and abilities through a range of assessment methods that will enhance their learning experience and develop valuable employability skills. Assessment methods may include laboratory reports; essays, practical observation, reflective journals, literature reviews, case studies, presentations, debates, written examinations, project
work and peer review.
Programme Content: (indicative programme)
- Academic Skills
- Health & Fitness
- Human Anatomy and Kinesiology
- Introduction to Sports Science Support
- Principles of Sports Coaching and Development
- Workplace Dynamics and Performance
- Workbased Research Project
- Advanced Coaching
- PE, Sport and Physical Activity
- Performance Analysis and Biomechanics
- Sport and Exercise Physiology
- Sport Science Support in Practice
- Strength Conditioning and Injury Management
- Tennis Centre: permanent building housing 4 indoor courts
- Tennis Dome with 4 indoor courts
- 4 external courts with European Red Clay surface
- Sports Laboratory
- Sports Hall
- Fitness Suite
- Strength & Conditioning Performance Area
- Football and rugby grass pitches
- Floodlit 3-G (all weather) pitch
- External all-weather playing surface - multi-sports
- 64 UCAS credits
- GCSEs in Maths, English and Science at grade C or above is desirable
- Mature students and students already employed will need a range of qualifications including or equivalent to A-Levels or Access Course
- Prior work and learning experiences will be taken into account, accredited and considered at interview stage
Students with English as a foreign language: Applications from students from all backgrounds are welcome. We require evidence of proficiency in English (including writing, listening, speaking and reading).
Our recognised English Language qualifications include:
- IELTS: 6 overall (minimum of 5.5 in any component)
- Please click here to see our full list
Upon successful completion of this Foundation Degree students may be offered the opportunity to top-up to a full Honours Degree in Sports Coaching at Easton Campus (having achieved 240 HE credits including 120 at Level 5 in a sport related subject and a successful interview) or at another institution. Alternatively, students will be well equipped with industry skills to meet needs of employers.
'Past graduates have been employed as fitness instructors, performance analysts, coaches, leisure managers, cover supervisors and as PE teachers.'
To improve employability prospects, students enrolling in 2018 will have the opportunity to apply for a training bursary to put towards funding additional industry relevant qualifications. Students are able to apply for a maximum of £250 in year 1 and £500 in year 2.
This programme is validated by the University of East Anglia.
Apply Now Unsure? Return to Subject Listings